Sports Medicine Clearance Procedures for First Time Athletic Participants
In order to participate in Men's Rugby at Middlebury College, all students must complete a series of forms for the Sports Medicine department. A student may not participate in practice or games until these forms have been completed. This process takes time and we recommend you get started as soon as possible. Each year, the sports medicine clearance window closes on the third Monday of classes.
All students must complete the following items:
- All students are required to have an entrance physical conducted by a physician using the College's Physical Form. Additionally, rugby players must complete the Athletic Supplement Form. These two forms must be completed prior to starting rugby but must not be completed more than 6 months in advance of starting rugby. Link: http://www.middlebury.edu/studentlife/services/health/healthtopicsa-z/forms/athletes
- Rugby players need to fill out the Covenant not to Sue Form. This Form should be returned to the Health Center. If you are under the age of 18 upon entering Middlebury, you must have this form signed by a Parent or Guardian. Link: https://herc2.middlebury.edu/sportsmed/generalreleaseform.pdf
- Rugby Players must also return the Sickle Cell Waiver. If you are under the age of 18 upon entering Middlebury, you must have this form signed by a Parent or Guardian. Link: http://www.middlebury.edu/system/files/media/sickle_cell_waiver_form_0.pdf
- All students must register for their account with the College's online student health portal. You will find additional health forms on this portal that will be submitted electronically. It also serves as a way to track your health records while at Middlebury. To register, follow the directions on the portal home page. Link: http://midb.studenthealthportal.com/PyramedPortal
- Rugby Players are required to complete a Head Impact (Concussion) Baseline Test. This test is administered by a member of the training staff within Sports Med in the Athletic Center. To complete this test, you must set up an appointment with Sports Med. You can call at: 802-443-2315 or visit in person to set up your appointment.
- All athletes are required to be listed on their respective sport's Middlink Page. Middlink serves as a social networking tool for Middlebury students and organizations. To be listed, go to the Middlink page, log-in following the on-page instructions. Click on the "Organizations" tab, use the search box on the left and search "Rugby". Select "Rugby Club - Men" and then click on the request to join. Once your request is received, our page administrator will accept your request and then you will be listed on Middlink. Link: https://middlebury.collegiatelink.net/
You can find the Sports Med Website here if you have any other questions or are unsure which steps you have yet to complete.
We encourage anyone that is considering playing but still not fully committed to take these steps to fill out the forms. By completing this process, you are not committing to playing rugby for the full semester. However, if the Sport Med deadline passes and you decide to play without having completed the forms, you will not be allowed to participate. Give yourself the opportunity, you can always make your final decision later.
Directions to Pitch:
Click on the pin on the map below for the exact address to our pitch: